About

photo (9)

Primotipo… is Mark Bisset .

The sight of Kevin Bartlett’s’ Mclaren M10B F5000 bellowing sideways out of Shell corner, Sandown Park, Melbourne, Australia in January ’72 was his first racing sight, remains indelibly etched in his mind, and started a lifelong fascination and passion for motor racing .

He has owned and raced Alfa Romeo, Porsche, Lotus, Venom, Asp, Elfin, Lola, Van Diemen & Ralt cars.
Favourite marques are Lotus, Lola & Alfa…but all racing and sports racing cars float his boat.

He is also an executive in a professional service firm.

The object of this blog is to share memories, observations & opinions on the sports past, present & future…

Peter Brennan  Elfin 400 Chev

Peter Brennan
Elfin 400 Chev

Racers Retreat…is Peter Brennan

Melbourne’s Peter Brennan is a passionate racer, restorer and businessman.

Apprenticed as a mechanic, he quickly established a successful business and prepared, raced and restored some of Australia’s significant cars both for his own collection and for his clients.

He started his racing career in the ‘Jinx BSA’, a 500cc racer and after retiring to establish his business and raise 3 children with his wife Elizabeth, he returned to the sport competing in Australian National Formula 1, Formula Holden at the time. He now competes in a variety of cars in Historic Racing.

As a restorer/driver his collection includes the ex-Patrese ’79 F1 Arrows A1B, ex-Matich Elfin 400/Traco Olds sports car, both cars the ‘tip of the iceberg’.

rodway

Rodways Repco Recollections…is Rodway Wolfe.

Rod was brought up in Victorias’ East Gippsland, after completing his motor mechanics apprenticeship he was employed by Repco’s retail arm ‘ blagging ‘ his way into a job with the Repco Brabham Engine company and later the F5000 company.

He was part of Repcos’ small elite team all through the World Championship years of 1966/7 to 1973, this is his ‘front row’ account of the company, it’s engineers, customers, drivers and of course the engines themselves.

Rodway was then Holinger Engineering’s first employee after that returning to East Gippsland where he established and owned successful businesses in motor cycle and marine retailing and ships chandlery .

He is now retired and lives at ‘Wildwood’ , his wilderness property in East Gippsland.

Comments
  1. Steven Robertson says:

Mark,

No acknowledgement at all received from the 3 emails I have sent you.

Kind regards,

Steven.

2. Steven Robertson says:

Mark,

That is the email address I have been using. Have my messages gone into your spam?

Best,

Steven

3. Mark says:

There are a few errors in the “Hector Jenkins” reference to the series of Penrith photos c1928. if you like i can correct them for you. I own Hectors Fronty. Please email me.

• markbisset says:

Fantastic Mark,
      Be great to get it right- mark@bisset.com.au
      Please send me a current shot or two and I will add them to the piece if that is ok?
      Thanks for getting in touch, I love that bunch of photos but I didn’t have much to go on so feel free to flesh out the story as well as correcting errors.
      Mark

4. Brian Goellnicht says:

I am trying to contact Jaime Gard and Don O’Sullivan. Appreciate any help.
    Brian Goellnicht.

5. Mal Fay says:

Hello Mark,

I was wondering if I could pitch a story to you? Back in the seventies two “Australian Pursuits” (reversed grid sprint race) were held at Road America. The first was held in 75 when RA was looking to fill the empty weekend left over from the defunct Can-Am with a sports car run what ya brung style entry. The second was in 76 in the dying days of the SCCA F-5000 series. Oddly enough both events were won by the same driver, one Vern Schuppan. I have the programs from both races, period magazine articles, and some photos that I took (no telephoto back then, may be a bit grainy). Interesting back story to both races.

Thanks,
    Mal

6. Andrew Murray says:

Hi Mark,
    some things wrong with your Alfa GTA story detail.
    I owned both the Mildren LHD and RHD and well as the fire damaged ex-Gulson car.
    One day we will put it straight.
    Regards
    Andrew Murray

7. Doug Nye says:

As a new visitor to this site may I just compliment everyone involved. Absolutely wonderful stuff! For what it’s worth I am really impressed…just for starters there’s hardly a single photograph I recognise.

• markbisset says:

Doug,
      Thanks for checking primotipo out, your compliments mean the world.
      Looking back, I started the thing in May 2014, mainly to put into the public domain the knowledge of Repco Brabham Engines machinist/storeman Rodway Wolfe who came all the way from Orbost in country Victoria to Adelaide, where I was then working, and loaned me his wonderful ‘suitcase of RBE goodies’- 932 articles later we are still ‘pluggin away.
      Thirty or so of the pieces are collaborations with Rodway, Peter Brennan, Stephen Dalton, John Medley and Bob King but I only have myself to blame for the rest!
      I’m glad many of the photos are unfamiliar to you, Bob Williamson’s shift from TNF to Facebook a while back opened a floodgate of Australian photographs which henceforth had been in ‘gramps cupboard’- each of the articles is stimulated in this way so the content in the last couple of years is biased in favour of Oz topics than the first few years when a paucity of local snaps was a barrier- visual medium and all that.
      I have used various of your books as reference sources along the way, hopefully when you look closely the attributions are up to snuff!
      Again, many thanks for the kind words, please keep in touch.
      Mark Bisset

8. elavotrebor says:

Love the F500 photos & stories. I was working corner’s as an AMSC official at Calder in those days. Never forget the atmosphere, sound gear changes up the front straight.

• markbisset says:

Robert,
      Great to hear from you- those cars were my favourites too- a full field in the Tasman rounds driven by elite level drivers really was something!
      Mark

9. jbjohnsmith says:

Hi Mark,
    I have a couple of corrections to your post. The bent chassis shown in the picture is not of the RT1 but of the RT4 when it was extensively damaged at AIR in 1982, I purchased a new tub from Graham Watson and we rebuilt the car over the next 2 weeks, only to damage it again whilst testing at Oran Park. Paul Liston then stepped up and did me a new chassis at his workshop. This was much stiffer and stronger than Ron’s production one, by using higher grade aluminium and solid rivets. The engine bay was also braced stronger. The car proved to be faster and more consistent.
    The RT1 got damaged at Pukekohe NZ in 1980. When we returned I got Harry Galloway to build a new tub, again , much stronger and with modifications. He moved the driver a lot further forward ,giving much better weight distribution, and moved the fuel cell from the side pods to behind the seat.The engine bay was strengthened as well.
    The car was much faster with less understeer. It surprised me how competitive it was with the more modern cars.

• markbisset says:

John,
      Great to hear from you, i’ve corrected the caption, and interesting to learn of the re-tubbing of the RT1 and RT4 into stronger and quicker cars, both were long lived models in their various iterations weren’t they.
      Its funny the races which stick in ones mind, but i particularly remember a weekend at Amaroo circa 1978 where you in the Galloway and ‘Pedro’ Larner in his Elfin 700 went at it all weekend- fair, fast, fabulous racing! The SV RT1 was on display in the paddock that weekend too, no doubt you had a good look at it!
      Go well and stay well, hope your health is good.
      Mark

10. Simon Lewis says:

Hi just an upodate on the INNES IRELAND page ( https://primotipo.com/tag/innes-ireland/ ) , there is a colour shot of Jack Fairman in the Ferguson P99 at Aintreee that’s captioned “unattributed” . In fact it’s from my archive and prints are available from my website http://www.simonlewis.com at the following page https://shop.simonlewis.com/ferguson-ff-4wd-f1-car-1961-british-gp-fairman-colour-217-p.asp If you could update the caption accordingly or remove the image entirely I’d be very grateful . Many thanks. Simon Lewis Transport Books.

• markbisset says:

Thanks Simon,
      That’s an old one, I’d forgotten about it. Caption changed and I’ve added you to the photo credits at the end of the article too.
      Thanks for getting in touch.
      Mark

11. Stephen Latham says:

Hi Mark. Enjoyed the articles you posted about Tony Gaze. I recently did a ‘mini bio’ on Tony for a facebook group I’m in and enjoyed doing as his was such an amazing story and life well lived. I wondered if it would be ok to share some of your info on him, especially regarding the Monte Carlo Rally he contested? I would obviously credit you if I posted it. There were a number of good photos of Tony but I would only share the ones that were uncredited, to avoid any copyright issues. Thanks. Steve